Seal Oil: Omega-3
Research shows that dietary supplementation of long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids can provide health benefits to every cell in the body and especially benefits the brain, eyes, nervous system and heart.
There are three significant long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids are:
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, 20:5 n-3)
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, 22:6 n-3)
- Docosapentaenoic acid (DPA, 22:5 n-3)
Seal oil in liquid and capsule form contains the highest levels of DPA and balanced levels of DHA and EPA. Seal oil Omega-3 fatty acids are chemically similar to that found naturally in the body from birth. However, long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids deplete daily as our bodies use them for numerous vital functions and should be supplemented accordingly.
The body does not produce the necessary long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids that are required in every cell for optimal health. Therefore, we need to get long-chain Omega-3 fatty acids from our diet.
The following governments and international organizations have recommended an increase in long-chain Omega-3 intake:
- Health Canada
- Governments of Australia and New Zealand (both governments recommend an increase in DPA intake, specifically)
- American Heart Association
- World Health Organization
- European Society for Cardiology
- United Kingdom Scientific Advisory Committee on Neutrino